Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Poll results for favorite Bad Brains record


The mighty HR with the Bad Brains in Rhode Island, Photo: Chris Gorman

I thought this poll was pretty much a no-brainer, and like the majority of voters, my vote went to "The ROIR Sessions". With the exception of a couple reggae jams, "The ROIR Sessions" is pretty much the perfect hardcore record. Shredding riffs, flawless drumming, pounding bass lines and some of the most original, powerful, gnarly vocals you'll ever hear. Seriously... if a song like "Right Brigade" doesn't move you, I don't know what does and probably don't want to know.


Now I know "Rock For Light" is virtually the same record, with that glossy Rick Ocasek production, but that's exactly why I'll take "The ROIR Sessions" over it. Whatever Rick Ocasek did when producing this record, I wish he kept for The Cars.

And for the handful of voters that voted for anything post "Quickness", I put out an open invitation and highly encourage you to contribute a piece here to Double Cross explaining how and why you would do such a thing. Obviously everyone is welcomed to their own opinion, but it blows my mind that 2 people in this world actually believe that "I and I Survive" is the best Bad Brains record ever. Wow, just wow.

Anyway, enjoy the Bad Brains photos, thanks for voting (whatever record you voted for) and please continue voting on all the future DCXX polls. -Tim DCXX


Bad Brains at City Gardens, Trenton NJ, Photo: Ken Salerno

Bad Brains - The ROIR Sessions - 170

Bad Brains - Rock For Light - 164
Bad Brains - I Against I - 95
Bad Brains - Quickness - 33
Bad Brains - Build A Nation - 8
Bad Brains - Rise - 5
Bad Brains - God Of Love - 4
Bad Brains - I and I Survive - 2


Dr Know with the Bad Brains at Fenders, Long Beach CA, Photo: Billy Rubin


Dr Know and HR with the Bad Brains at Fenders, Long Beach CA, Photo: Billy Rubin

18 comments:

Ben Edge said...

Hilarious! I agree with everything you said.

I remember Vic Dicara telling me that I Against I is the best album by anyone ever, and I thought it was weird, because it's not even my favorite album by Bad Brains, and side 2 is kinda weak.

Check out the song "Birds of Fire" by Mahavishnu Orchestra if you're wondering how Dr. Know came up with those sick leads.

Billy said...

There are Bad Brains records after I against I? I thought those were put out by Living Color!?

gopa kisora said...

Every album is great.

Anonymous said...

As lame as it sounds, I can't listen to "Secret 77" without getting the chills.

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, every frickin' song on I Against I gives me the chills.

Pedro Carvalho said...

Black Dots should have been an option. I know it's not a real album, but I know a couple kids who would have voted for it.

Unknown said...

Black Dots SHOULD have been a choice as it's what I would voted for.

Isaac Golub said...

Roir Sessions is great but I Against I was the first album where it actually felt like those stoned black dudes came off my turntable, crawled out my speakers, kicked me each once in the balls, walked past my doubled over body, ate all my Fruit Roll Ups and Capt'n Crunch and continued the Lp live in my living room. As much as I hate to agree with Jake.... EVER.... I Against I is the best.

Billy thanks for putting up those Fender's Pics. That Show is still THE BEST show I ever attended. And it was 24/7 Spyz not Living Colour that put out all those fake ass Bad Brains records.... Ok, may it was both.

William Patrick Wend said...

Good call about Mahavishnu Orchestra. They were a big influence on Black Flag as well.

Unknown said...

ROIR all the way man.

Off topic:

Tim, what's up with the Livewire-records site?! It doesn't work, it's just a blank page that comes up!

Anonymous said...

What Jake Jacobs said, except for me it's "Sacred Love".

Anonymous said...

I voted for the ROIR sessions too, but Black Dots would have been close. I am having problems with the LIVEWIRE page too....

mlp said...

i gotta say black dots needed to be up there as well. not a real album, but i love the sound.

Cheesegrater said...

[x] Black Dots

DOUBLE CROSS said...

I listened to the "Black Dots" record today while I mowed the lawn and yeah... it's freakin' brilliant. I kinda wish I had it listed in the poll, but my choice still would have gone to the ROIR sessions album.

For some reason when I was looking up the Bad Brain's discography, the "Black Dots" album wasn't listed on there. Oh well, I and I survive. - Tim DCXX

Ben Edge said...

Yeah, if Black Dots was an option, it would have gotten my vote five years ago. But ROIR wins for me now.

May as well have thrown Omega Sessions in the poll as well. It would have gotten Rollins' vote.

I can't get on Livewire either.

Unknown said...

I like all Bad Brains records but Quickness is my favorite, they way they blended hardcore and reggae is almost genius in my books.

donjaco said...

both rock for light and i against i were so refreshingly revolutionary and influencial i could'nt decide