Monday, June 8, 2009

Matt and Drew talk BOLD / Murphy's Law


BOLD at City Gardens, Trenton NJ, 1988, Photo: Ken Salerno

Tim's post last week on Murphy's Law and BOLD at the Black 'N Blue bowl reminded me of a story involving the two that came up in an interview Tim and I did with Matt and Drew a few years back. Here it is, along with some great photos Ken Salerno took of BOLD at City Gardens in early 1988...-Gordo DCXX


Drew: Around 1986, Crippled Youth was still kind of a novelty. And even though we were kinda loud about straight edge, we kinda got a pass because we were so young. Especially in New York, nobody really gave us a hard time because of our age.

Matt: But I do remember one time we kind of dug ourselves a hole. Maximum Rock 'N Roll wanted to do this little feature interview on us, so they sent us the questions. And one of the questions was about straight edge, and if we got a hard time for it or if we got heat for speaking our minds about it. So Drew and I were doing the answers and taking time to formulate our answers...

Drew: And I made the mistake of saying like, "If Murphy's Law can sing about drinking their beer, why can't we sing about being straight edge?" We really thought we were making a valid and righteous point, but in retrospect, we were 14, and it's just not the type of rational thing you say, especially pulling Murphy's Law into it. And I loved Murphy's Law, but the context was terrible.


Matt with BOLD at City Gardens, Photo: Ken Salerno

Matt: So yeah, and soon after that, I was at The Ritz and Murphy's Law is playing. And Jimmy goes to introduce the song "Care Bear," and he says in a very direct and not so friendly way, "THAT'S FOR YOU CRIPPLED YOUTH!!!" Like right at that moment, the whole club parted and like the spotlight went on me. It wasn't a lot of fun. It felt very tense.

Drew: Yeah, big mistake. But I think it smoothed over.

Matt: Yeah, the next day, Mark Ryan, who was close with us but also close with Jimmy and those guys, he went to them and smoothed it over, basically explaining we didn't mean anything by it and that we were ok kids. But I think that may have been a wake up call. After that, we were cool with them.

4 comments:

Larvik said...

Not the most compelling story. To me, BOLD had a pretty valid point and weren't really dissing ML at all. I mean, what's the big deal?

Also, this interview with Drew and Matt: I assume the Drew bits DXC have been posting have been this interview? Will the Matt interview see the light of day or has it already?

Lastly, I remember awhile back some people complaining about too much posting going on and how it's hard to keep up. Is this why we get these interviews in tiny bits here and there? I don't know about anyone else, but I find this really frustrating. Having to wait weeks for the second and third parts,etc of an interview is pretty annoying. I am sure others disagree, but that is my 2 cents. I would like to see longer pieces.

DOUBLE CROSS said...

Hmmm.

I guess it wasn't the MOST compelling story, but we thought it was post-worthy. As far as I'm concerned, we could have put up A SINGLE Ken Salerno photo with ZERO text and it would have been an awesome post that every BOLD fan should be pumped on.

Yeah, we're gonna stick to smaller chunks. Everything will end up posted in due time. Last time I checked we are still crushing people with shit here on a nonstop basis with no sign of letting up, and and the feedback is positive.

I'll guess you'll just have to keep checking back, as frustrating as it may be.

(The more I think about this, I feel like we are giving you free money and you are complaining about the bill denominations. It's a little...strange).

-Gordo DCXX

Larvik said...

I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful, as I have been loving this blog since day one. Just sharing some opinions. The Bold/MP piece just seemed kind of anecdotal vs. something more substantial. But it is probably just me being greedy and wanting more content. I love Bold. Still think the posts are too short sometimes, but again it stems from just wanting more of the goods.

Unknown said...

David,

Unfortunately we can't please everyone. Some people complain that we post too much too often, then some people complain that we don't post enough. We never cut entries just for the sake of leaving people on the edge of their seats.

With this BOLD interview, this is a separate interview than the one that I originally did with Matt some time ago. This one was done with Matt and Drew together and video taped to go along with a CD of live material that Livewire was going to release. We could never agree on what live material to release, so the project ended up falling by the wayside. This interview as well as the original interview that I did with Matt is probably close to 5 or 6 hours worth of material. Gordo and I decided last year at some point to just pick out different highlights from the Matt/Drew interview and post it in smaller, cohesive segments. Posting it all in larger segments would just be too much and too overwhelming a task, so instead we just throw pieces here and there at you. But again, the pieces were posting are complete chunks, no cliff hangers.

Trust me, we love BOLD just as much as you do, if not more, so we understand you wanting more. All I can say is that you're just going to have to trust that we're doing this the way we're doing it for the benefit of everyone. - Tim DCXX