Monday, April 5, 2010

Gang Green - Alcohol


A video like this posted on a site like Double Cross, done by two straight edge guys might seem a bit strange, but the truth of the matter is that I love this friggin' song. I first remember hearing Gang Green's "Another Wasted Night" LP on a tape that was passed around and found it's self in my Walkman, sometime between 1986 and 1987. One side of the tape was the Gang Green LP and the other side was DYS "Brotherhood". I listened to both albums extensively and found myself singing along at full volume to the lyrics "Straight mind, razor edge, firm footing on a social ledge" as well as "You've got the beer, we've got the time, you've got the coke, gimmie a line". Obviously I ended up finding more of a connection to the lyrics of DYS, but still enjoyed the hell out of Gang Green. Even got myself one of those Gang Green "Budweiser" shirts, "Skate all day, drink all night". Somehow or another, although I've had many opportunities, I've never gotten around to seeing Gang Green live. Considering they're still playing around, I'm sure I'll get the chance. Until then, I'll keep blasting "Another Wasted Night", singing along to "Alcohol" as well as all the other great tracks (yeah, even their version of Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry"… which friggin' rocks!) and occasionally wearing the Budweiser shirt. No doubt about it I can't live with out it… -Tim DCXX

9 comments:

Drew Stone said...

Paul Rachman who directed the film "American Hardcore" directed this video.

Jim Pitts said...

Gang Green was part of the lineup of the first punk show I ever promoted back in 1986, I had them open for the Adolescents on their second reunion show.
They played great, had cool roadies, nice shirts, and were the biggest bunch of d#cks I ever met in a hardcore band. We could barely, and I mean BARELY, keep Rikk Agnew and Chris D from Gang Green from going at it.....and Gang Green called me begging to be on the bill!
Bummer cuz I dug them!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME. SIMPLY AWESOME.

creepr said...

Funny story about Chris D and Rikk Agnew, my old band Social Sickness was booked to play with PooP (Rikk & Chris's last band) and nobody came to that show since it was poorly promoted, but Chris and Rikk actually did show up and the owner of the venue kicked them out for getting wasted in the parkinglot.

Dennis Verhiest said...

One of the bands that got this metalhead into hardcore.... i didn't care about them being not sXe either, they rocked, had skateboards in their video, and were awesome live....

Glen Stilphen said...

If anyone is interested, please send me your email and I will send you an mp3 of a song that Chuck Stilphen (wrote the music for alcohol in 1984), Erich Thaler (Stombox)and I recorded. If you liked the early music of Gang Green (without the complete stupidity), you will probably enjoy this high energy, kick ass, unreleased track. Send an email to glenstil@rcn.com.

I do remember that show in 86 with the Adolescents but I do not remember you, Jim Pitts. I apologize if I or someone was rude to you but we were 15-18 years old at the time and it was 1986. Hardcore really wasn't about being nice all the time. I guess it took us longer to grow up than others. Have a nice day!

Glen Stilphen - bass 84-86

dover station said...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/nunsofpunk
x gang green and x stompbox

Anonymous said...

www.ganggreenalcohol.com

Anonymous said...

www.ganggreen.us