Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Richie Birkenhead - "Unless We're Pushed..."

Photobucket

Just because he is harder than all of us combined, and can still regret it.


-DCXX

"There was one incident where I was actually just looking for a friend of mine at a restaurant in New York. It was a crowded, almost like a night club, very crowded restaurant where people were deejaying. I actually wanted to go in there and see if a friend of mine was deejaying, and anyway, a very drunk guy...at the time my hair was bleached. Of course, I walk into some drunk frat guy, sort of Wall Street-type. He was calling me names, making fun of the bleached hair. I was trying to ignore it, and he ended up trying to put his cigarette out on my chest, and I completely overreacted and I hurt him really badly. I was sick about it. Just completely sick about it and disgusted with myself, and I just went home and I was a wreck. I was depressed for days. I don't think it was the last physical altercation I ever got into, but that one incident pretty much ended my 'fighting career.'"

-As told to Ronny Little

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Note Zach De La Rocha in that pic.

Prime Directive said...

Note dude smoking a massive spliff on his shirt. Genius.

SFader said...

Also note Dan O'Mahoney on the right.

Ben Edge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben Edge said...

Note resemblence between Zach De La Rocha and dude smoking massive spliff on Ritchie's shirt.

me: "Don't you think Zach De La Rocha looks like Bob Marley?"

Isaac Golub: "No, I think Zach looks like Sideshow Bob."

SFader said...

Spend a bit of time with Richie and he's such a nice, mellow dude. But at the same time you know he could rip out a guy's heart and show it to you.

Dave Stein said...

I do recall hanging out with Richie pre-True Blue days in front of CBs and he was worried that he had blood on his sneakers from a fight the prior night.

Anonymous said...

Random observation: Isn't it odd how calm the blond guy standing to the left of Richie looks? Right there in the middle of chaos and he looks as though he never would have expected to see such violence at a rock and roll venue. If I hadn't seen this picture previously I would have considered the possibility that this person had been added by way of PhotoShop!