Friday, May 23, 2008

Porcell: Always - A Friend For Life

On May 8th we posted an excerpt from an interview that Gordo did with Shaun Sheridan of the Anthrax club. Along with the interview I dropped in a pic from the original Stamford, CT Anthrax that I had come across. Porcell saw the article and photo and sent me a great story to go along with it. Big thanks to Porcell for this contribution and we hope to see many more from him in the future. -Tim DCXX

That live shot was the Freeze at the Stamford Anthrax, somewhere around 1984. Cappo is the guy at the bottom of the pile up, lying flat on his back on the right hand side. I'm on the left, wearing a white shirt with a huge smile on my face, right underneath the guitar player. The kid directly next to me, with the shaved head and the circles drawn all over his shirt, was a really cool kid I met that night for the first time. He said his name was Heap and he was only 14 years old. Everyone took note of him because even though he was really young, he moshed like a maniac for every band. In the beginning days of the Anthrax, not too many new kids came, so when someone showed up out of the blue you were psyched and naturally you'd introduce yourself. So I befriended Heap and showed him around, pointed out what sketchy streets to avoid (there were plenty), and brought him to the deli down the street to get a drink. On the way he told me that he had just run away from home because life with his mom was too hellish to even explain, and that he had pretty much been living wherever he could for a couple of weeks, even to the point of sleeping on park benches all night with a stick by his side in case someone fucked with him. I remember thinking that this kid is so friggin' little and already has a pretty rough life. I said "Damn, bro, that's harsh, what are you gonna do now?" He said his plan was to hop a train to New York City and hide in the bathroom so he wouldn't have to pay. I was like "Do you know anybody? Do you have anywhere to go when you get there?" He said he didn't but he would just walk to the Lower East Side and try to meet some punks to stay with.

I remember thinking that here was a kid who in a normal world would be at home watching cartoons and studying his multiplication tables, and yet somehow at 14 years old, this brave little bastard was about to go alone to the ghetto of New York City - with no money, no friends and not much of an alternative. I was a little scared for him and sincerely shook his hand and said "Hey I hope everything works out for you, good luck bro." He kind of laughed and said "Yeah, I'm probably gonna need it." Then we went back to the Anthrax and we both moshed for the Freeze like our lives depended on it.

A year or two later, I was walking down 3rd Ave. on my way to a matinee at CBGB's when I saw Raybeez with a bunch of skinheads on the corner. He said "Yo Porcell, meet the newest member of Warzone!" and put his hand on this kid's shoulder. I said "Heap, holy crap man, remember me from the Anthrax? Damn, you made it to New York alive!" He smiled and said, "Yeah, and I don't go by Heap anymore, you can call me Todd Youth." -Porcell

1 comment:

Ben Edge said...

A really nice guy. I saw him fill in for the Circle Jerks a year or two ago while Hetson was on tour with Bad Religion. To my knowledge, he wrote the music for one of the best War Zone songs ("As One"), and the best Murphy's Law song ("Quest For Herb"). Anybody know what other classic NYHC songs he wrote?