Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dave Zukauskas/Run It Fanzine

Photobucket
The original Youth Crew at the Stamford, CT. Anthrax, 1986, Photo: Chris Schneider

If you've got the 'Everybody's Scene' book, then you've seen this photo; I'm in the back, standing behind Gavin's right shoulder. To my recollection, this is the first visual documentation of the whole 'Youth Crew' concept, which was an idea that Ray Cappo had because he was really into the whole Boston Crew image - you know, the photos of Al Barile and 20 other guys in their letter jackets, walking through Kenmore Square. Both Ray and Porcell used to really be into the DYS and SSD record covers, for instance, and wanted to have the YOT records look the same as the XClaim! records, with a Bruce Rhodes photo taken at The Rat and so forth... they were really into duplicating those same visual images. So, this photo was our attempt at staging a Boston Crew sort of thing.

Photobucket
Dave Run It, behind Gavin's right shoulder,
Photo: Chris Schneider

I can remember this day almost as clear as a bell - it was a weekend that Albany Style played at the Anthrax, in March of '86, so we were standing against one of the side walls of the Anthrax. One of the things I can remember about that day was walking to the gas station that was on the corner next to the Anthrax and buying a Gatorade. Porcelly once said, 'I think that Gatorade should be the official Youth Drink!'

What I'm up to now: married, still living in Connecticut, writing a blog now instead of a 'zine and still going to shows, which I've kept up doing (off and on) since the '80s...sometimes my 15-year-old son goes to the shows with me, he started going to some all-ages shows a couple of years ago. The newer photo of me was taken last season while I was at a hockey game, which is also something that I do a lot.

Photobucket
Dave Run It 2010, Photo courtesy of: Dave Run It

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This photo was taken by Chris Schneider. I know because I scanned his negatives for the Everybody's Scene book. Just want to give credit where credit is due.

J. Snow

Brushback said...

Yeah, Joe -- for this post, I think Chris Daly sent the photos in, which I had only cropped a bit from the originals, so it's probably just an innocent mix-up how I got credit for "supplying" the photos...

Anonymous said...

awesome photo!!!!!!!!!

Karol said...

Great, thanks!

Where's It Gonna End... said...

I have always followed Dave's work and think that Brushback is a fantastic blog and should be checked out by all the LWB peeps...I remember Dave interviewing Pugsly and myself in front of the Tune Inn (when we were doing The Spoilers)
- Toby

i'm not springa said...

"THE KIDS WILL HAVE THEIR SAY"-the best album's front cover in rock history!!!!!.

Brushback said...

Man, The Spoilers were a great band.

Anonymous said...

frociiii!!!!

ShayKM said...

Still SE?

Chris Schneider said...

Thanks, Joe!

comprar un yate said...

It can't work in reality, that's exactly what I think.