Wednesday, March 30, 2011

THE RULE OF NINES - Dichotomy


Hello, Double Cross. I asked Tim McMahon if Double Cross could show a just-finished video from an old band I had in 1995 (sixteen years ago) entitled THE RULE OF NINES. Tim was nice enough to say “yes” and told me to write up a little background for the video.

Without too much detail, I found a tape a few years back of a band I had with former Pitchfork/Forced Down drummer, Joseph Patrick. We met at Mike Down’s wedding and clicked.

Over the period of a few months we played out a few times until the band imploded for the usual reasons a band does.

Last month, I looked into my file with the demo tape, a few photos & one dark live video from that era. My friend said he liked the music a lot and would do a quick video for one song of the band as homage. I like documentation so here it is. I hope you like the message as well as the music. - ROA

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this will sound like a dig (it's not meant to be one), but if I had listened to this song without reading any background beforehand, I'm pretty sure I could have told you it was from the early-mid 90's. That decade is an interesting time that, as a whole, we seem to want to forget. It's good to check out some neglected gems from that time period, though.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this site, guys!

Justin M. said...

Please post the whole demo!

Ben Edge said...

I first saw Rule of Nines at the Pickle Patch probably in late '96 or early '97. They had another singer after Roa named George. They were both good hc vocalists, but Roa was definitely more exciting to watch because he moved around more.

One thing that is for sure about Robert Jonathan Roa is that he wouldn't waste his time writing lyrics for a song if he had nothing to say.

Anonymous said...

sounds good. you should post the whole demo.

Cheesegrater said...

Anonymous -- I don't want to forget the 90's. Great HC, great memories. Don't care what the "common consensus" thinks on this one.

Anonymous said...

wait--so were there 2 demos? i remember playing shows with both line-ups of the rule of nines, but the tape i have is with the 2nd vocalist.

-chad

chad said...

whoever did the layout for the demo is a graphic design genius!

a different Chad said...

Good stuff, all around! Thanks! The early-mid-90s California scene was crap in my experience (too many cliques, too many bros) but that's not the fault of the bands, and the 90s had some of the best!

Now there are fewer cliques, but still too many bros, too much pit violence. But that is neither here or there.

Post the demo!

Anonymous said...

yeah the real demo was released on PHYTE with some dude George on vocals after Jon was kicked out.Too bad they broke up the LP would of been sick!

Anonymous said...

RULE OF NINES 7" with ROA singing, will be released by Irish Voodoo Records. www.irishvoodoorecords.com